Amazon Web Services announced some exciting new features for Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP around performance improvement, ease-of-use capabilities, and additional integrations during Adam Selipsky’s keynote and the AWS storage leadership session.
FSx for ONTAP new features
- Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP, a service that provides fully managed shared storage built on the popular NetApp® ONTAP® file system, now doubles the maximum throughput capacity per file system to accelerate your performance-intensive workloads, such as video rendering and database applications.
- The NVMe read cache support previously included with Multi-AZ file systems now extends to Single-AZ file systems.
- It’s now even easier to access Multi-AZ file systems from other networks (on-premises networks and peered networks in AWS). Starting today, you can create Multi-AZ file systems that you can access from other networks over AWS Transit Gateway with no additional routing configuration.
- Today, AWS announced four new features that make it even easier to configure Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP and manage your file systems.
- You can now more easily assign a NetApp Snapshot™ policy to your FSx for ONTAP volumes. Previously you could configure your volumes’ Snapshot policies using the ONTAP® CLI and REST API. Now you can also do so using the AWS Management Console and the Amazon FSx CLI and API.
- Smoothly migrate and protect your data with NetApp SnapMirror. Now, using the AWS Management Console and the Amazon FSx CLI and API, you can more easily create FSx for ONTAP data protection (DP) volumes—the destination for SnapMirror, which efficiently replicates data to the same or a different ONTAP file system.
- Simplify how you organize, secure, track, and audit your backups. Now you can configure volumes so that their tags are automatically copied to their backups.
- You can now add or remove VPC route tables for your existing FSx for ONTAP Multi-AZ file systems, enabling you to update your file system network configuration as your network evolves.
- FSx for ONTAP provides automatic encryption of data in transit between Nitro-based compute instances and new FSx for ONTAP file systems with no impact on network performance.
- View details of these announcements.
FSx for ONTAP: Get a full serving of enterprise greatness
With numerous cloud file services to choose from, what are the key ingredients that make FSx for ONTAP the best file storage system?
- The best price/performance to be found in cloud storage. Get up to 90% savings by leveraging 90% storage reduction from world-class storage efficiency technologies, including compression, compaction, deduplication, thin provisioning, and tiering.
- Highly performant storage service with 540K IOPS at submillisecond response times certified by the most demanding enterprise apps, including SAP and Oracle.
- Highly available enterprise cloud with 99.99% reliability.
- A complete array of data services, including tiering, protection, mobility, observability, and governance that work natively with the storage service for simplicity and security.
- Unparalleled cyber resilience:
- Integrated ONTAP Snapshot technology reduces backup times and offers instant recovery of data with zero impact.
- Enables proven disaster recovery capabilities for both on-premises and cloud data using NetApp SnapMirror along with automated data synchronization from NetApp Cloud Sync.
- Built-in automation allows replication across AWS Availability Zones and delivers control with cost-effective, incremental-forever, block-based backups.
- Leverages NetApp’s AI-driven Cloud Secure technology to thwart ransomware and other external threats before you even know they’re occurring.
- The broadest storage service. FSx for ONTAP delivers not just file storage but true multiprotocol block, file, and K8s support to allow an array of teams and workloads to leverage a common resource.
- Tested and trusted. The service has been integrated with an array of AWS native services and has already achieved some of the most valuable third-party validations and certifications. It’s the first and only certified, integrated, and supported supplemental NFS datastore for VMware Cloud on AWS, and it’s SAP HANA-certified.
NetApp’s hybrid cloud experience
The hybrid cloud world is here to stay. NetApp recently announced NetApp BlueXP™, a unified control plane that delivers a simplified hybrid cloud experience for storage and data services across on-premises and AWS Cloud environments. BlueXP simplifies the hybrid cloud with a SaaS-delivered model to deploy, discover, manage, and optimize both data and its infrastructure. BlueXP combines this unified management capability (including visibility and manageability of both NetApp FSx for ONTAP and NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP on AWS) with data services such as data protection (backup and recovery and DR for volumes, VM and K8s applications, and VM configurations), data governance and compliance, data mobility, and resource monitoring and optimization. The intuitive interface and artificial intelligence and machine learning enabled automation deliver simplicity to a complex world, reducing both the resources and the risk associated with managing disparate environments. Learn more about BlueXP.
Learn from the cloud specialists
Join us for a special celebration!
To celebrate the 1-year anniversary of Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP, NetApp is hosting a VIP reception at AREA15. Come and mingle on Wednesday, November 30, at 7 p.m. at AREA15. We’ll even pay for your Uber to and from the event. RSVP today.
We look forward to meeting you at AWS re:Invent 2022. During the week, you can find full details about the special offers from NetApp at the event.
If you aren't able to attend re:Invent in-person, register for the NetApp and AWS joint webinar, “Get the secret sauce to AWS Cloud.” Register today for the January 18, 2023 webinar.