SUNNYVALE, Calif. - April 17, 2012 - Organizations are under pressure to accelerate business results and rely on IT to help them lower operating costs, drive innovation, and outpace the competition. These organizations continue to invest a significant amount of IT dollars on day-to-day operations, hindering their ability to free up resources to implement strategic initiatives to further business success. To cope with these challenges, many organizations have turned to storage efficiency technologies from NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) to maximize their existing investments, reduce costs, and free up resources to invest in projects to drive business growth.
NetApp customers are saving a combined total of more than five exabytes of storage capacity through the use of NetApp's leading efficiency technologies. With these technologies, customers save on average $25 billion in storage costs. According to Gartner, Inc., organizations today invest 63% of their IT budgets on projects to run their business, 21% to grow their business and only 16% to transform their business. Customers rely on NetApp's game changing efficiency technologies to overcome the challenges of managing explosive data growth and maximize existing storage investments. The combined strengths of NetApp's nine integrated efficiency technologies help customers lower costs, do more with less, and improve their return on investment.
The following customers worldwide are maximizing NetApp® storage efficiency technologies to free up resources for innovation as they implement cloud computing models, virtual desktop integration (VDI), and strategic business applications to provide higher service levels to their organizations:
Iowa Workforce Development
- The Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) decreased costs and continued to support the communities they serve to run public-facing virtual desktops across the state from a centralized NetApp storage platform. This innovative approach to delivering workforce services has enabled the IWD to provide services to a greater number of communities even though budget cuts forced the elimination of the majority of its physical offices.
- With a flexible and efficient NetApp storage infrastructure, the agency is now able to deliver more services to Iowa state residents and has seen the rate of services the agency provides increase by an average of 40% per month. NetApp storage efficiency technologies such as deduplication and thin provisioning have helped reduced storage requirements by nearly 50%.
Tuscon Electric Power
- Tucson Electric Power Company (TEP) managed growing data volumes resulting from the expansion of its geographical information system with more high-resolution photographs, which required large amounts of storage space. These GIS applications and high-resolution images are used throughout the utility enterprise for inspections, lightning-strike assessment, field force management, outage visualization, and emergency management. In addition, storage demands were being driven by roughly 60 new or upgrade-application projects each year.
- Over the last six years, TEP's has saved the organization approximately $7.3 million in hardware and labor costs due to exceptional storage efficiencies from NetApp. These savings are now invested into innovative new application projects such as a renewable energy program and meter data management.
- ExamWorks addressed new requirements stemming from accelerated business growth and achieve greater efficiencies through more streamlined, centralized storage management, and server and desktop virtualization strategies.
- ExamWorks achieved $2 million in IT opex cost avoidance and gained a centralized, efficient and flexible IT infrastructure that easily accommodates growth.
- ExamWorks has reduced storage and IT staffing costs with NetApp virtualization and efficiency technologies. The company has decreased storage requirements by 300% with NetApp deduplication on virtual desktop images.
- A global hauling and logistics provider, Scheffknecht renewed the IT infrastructure for three sites and 50 office workplaces focusing on accelerated data access, stability, and cost saving. NetApp provided unified storage as a central shared data platform for the virtualized environment, business and industry solutions.
- Scheffknecht was able to reduce expenditure for operations, decrease administration time by more than 80%, and save several thousand Euros on maintenance. The new efficient and flexible infrastructure released resources for optimizing business processes such as electronic accounting or telematics for its truck fleet. Instead of wasting time and money rectifying IT problems, Scheffknecht is now able to generate uninterrupted sales.
- Chris Cummings, vice president, Products and Solutions
Marketing at NetApp
"Today, organizations spend a substantial amount of their budget just keeping systems running," said Chris Cummings, vice president, Products and Solutions Marketing at NetApp. "Efficiency in IT is needed now more than ever as customers seek new approaches to manage growing data volumes, reduce costs and improve business responsiveness. Our success in helping customers achieve significant savings with the NetApp portfolio of storage efficiency technologies demonstrates our commitment to deliver powerful innovations that help our customers succeed."
- Learn more about NetApp's efficient IT solutions:
- Connect with NetApp experts and storage enthusiasts in the NetApp Community: communities.netapp.com/community/products_and_solutions/efficient_it
- Follow NetApp on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NetApp
- Join NetApp on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NetApp
- View NetApp videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/NetAppTV
- Connect with NetApp on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=111681
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that deliver outstanding cost efficiency and accelerate business breakthroughs. Our commitment to living our core values and consistently being recognized as a great place to work around the world are fundamental to our long-term growth and success, as well as the success of our pathway partners and customers. Discover our passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
NetApp, the NetApp logo, and Go further, faster are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.
 Data from My AutoSupportTM, a Web-based tool,
when enabled, offers a comprehensive view into the health,
performance, and storage efficiency of any NetApp storage
 Dollar savings based on NetApp MyAutoSupport data and annual cost per TB based on the Gartner report: "IT Key Metrics Data 2012: Key Infrastructure Measures: Storage Analysis: Current Year," Jamie K. Guevara, Linda Hall, and Eric Stegman, December 15, 2011 report #G00226857
 "IT Metrics: IT Spending and Staffing Report, 2012," by Kurt Potter, Michael Smith, Jim McGittigan, Jamie K. Guevara, Linda Hall, Eric Stegman, January 16, 2012