SAN JOSE and SUNNYVALE, Calif.-May 17, 2011-Cisco and NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) today announced that more than 150 customers have implemented joint data center solutions based on the FlexPod™ design architecture. Cisco and NetApp®'s FlexPod is a pretested architectural design guide that combines networking, computing and storage in a shared infrastructure, and supports multiple applications and workloads to help channel partners accelerate and simplify their customers' transition to the cloud. Last November, Cisco and NetApp introduced the first FlexPod solution with VMware, now available through 120 qualified channel partners worldwide. Today, Cisco and NetApp are announcing a new additional design guide for FlexPod that supports SAP applications in the cloud.
- FlexPod is a design architecture with combined networking, computing, and storage infrastructure. The flexible, scalable shared infrastructure is pretested to help channel partners and customers lower deployment risk, increase data center efficiencies, and create a flexible information technology (IT) environment to build a private cloud.
- FlexPod is built on the Cisco Unified Computing System™ server platform, Cisco Nexus switches, and NetApp unified storage systems running Data ONTAP®.
- More than 150 customers, including
Dominion, Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc., and Radiant
Communications, have deployed FlexPod and received benefits such
- A shared infrastructure that scales to meet the changing requirements of growing data centers without disruption or the need to make architectural changes in the future;
- Integrated networking, computing and storage components that can be centrally managed. These components are optimized for a virtual data center environments and enable central management of an entire infrastructure (storage, compute, network, and hypervisor);
- An open design management framework that integrates with existing third-party infrastructure management solutions from vendors including SAP and VMware.
- Today, Cisco and NetApp released new design guides that use the
FlexPod design architecture in support of SAP applications.
- The design consists of SAP solution-based landscapes validated on the FlexPod shared IT infrastructure that help customers minimize application downtime to accelerate the deployment of SAP solutions in a virtualized environment.
- The design allows customers to transition their existing or new SAP applications to a dynamic and flexible cloud-enabled environment.
- The FlexPod solution for use with SAP applications can support both virtual and physical configurations and scales up or down as required.
- For added security, customers can isolate different development or maintenance environments, or manage different production environments for SAP applications through the Cisco, NetApp and VMware Secure Multi-tenancy (SMT) Design Architecture design guide.
- Cisco, NetApp, and VMware have built a new Unified Support Lab where support engineers can reproduce customer environments, diagnose issues, and rapidly resolve customer cases. This further strengthens the global 24-hour cooperative support model that Cisco, NetApp, and VMware developed to offer customers a streamlined response to identify and solve potential issues related to the FlexPod for VMware and Secure Multi-tenancy architecture designs.
- Rockwell Bonecutter, Global Alliance Channel Lead,
"We are seeing strong interest in flexible, secure, scalable, and highly functional IT infrastructure solutions that help companies optimize their SAP applications to achieve greater efficiencies and reduce costs."
- Bert Odinet, Vice President and Chief Information
Officer at Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.
"As a global natural resources company, the latest economic downturn provided us with a unique opportunity to focus on business process transformation in preparation for the eventual recovery in our business. We turned to SAP, Accenture, and NetApp to help us create a strong and flexible application platform better aligned to our evolving business requirements. There were crucial differences in the capabilities of the innovative stack approach they offered with their other partners that couldn't be matched by alternative solutions we evaluated. As a result, we were able to reduce program risk, provide infrastructure scalability, and create a lower-cost operating model-all of this while accelerating a significant business process transformation program."
- Jason Leeson, Vice President, Advanced Hosting at
"As one of the largest independent business-to-business Internet service providers in Canada, we needed to expand our cloud hosting business with an additional data center and were looking to improve our services. Using Cisco and NetApp FlexPod for VMware®, we now have a flexible and efficient shared IT infrastructure that scales easily and quickly, allowing us to deploy highly secure, multi-tenant cloud-based services on demand."
- Kevin Ichhpurani, Senior Vice President, Business
Development and Strategic Alliances, SAP
"FlexPod, now available in support of SAP applications, brings the power of the Cisco and NetApp FlexPod solution to our customers, providing them with a proven, flexible IT infrastructure that enables them to build secure private clouds. Organizations can now scale SAP solution-based landscapes on demand, helping them be ready for the future and capitalize on new growth opportunities."
- FlexPod for VMware® Solution Guide: www.netapp.com/us/library/technical-reports/tr-3884.html
- FlexPod for VMware® Deployment Model: www.netapp.com/us/media/flexPod-vmware-deployment.html
- FlexPod in support of SAP applications Solution Brief: www.netapp.com/us/media/ds-3166-flexpod-for-sap-applications.html
- Cisco channels blog: blogs.cisco.com/category/channels
- Cisco data center networks blog: blogs.cisco.com/category/datacenter
- NetApp's Nick Howell's "Virtualization Arcade" blog: blogs.netapp.com/varcade
- NetApp's Tim Waldron's "Tim's Tales" blog: blogs.netapp.com/tim
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to newsroom.cisco.com.
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that accelerate business breakthroughs and achieve outstanding cost efficiency. Discover our passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. NetApp, the NetApp logo, Go further, faster, Data ONTAP, and FlexPod are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. VMware is a registered trademark and/or trademark of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. The word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship between Cisco, NetApp, VMware, and any other company. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.
Any statements contained in this document that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements as defined in the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Words such as "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "expect," "forecast," "intend," "may," "plan," "project," "predict," "should" and "will" and similar expressions as they relate to SAP are intended to identify such forward-looking statements. SAP undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations The factors that could affect SAP's future financial results are discussed more fully in SAP's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission ( "SEC"), including SAP's most recent Annual Report on Form 20-F filed with the SEC. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of their dates.