SUNNYVALE, Calif.-January 11, 2011- Universities across the country are experiencing financial and administrative limitations in the face of growing demand for storage space and server resources from faculty, students, and staff. That's why Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) built its IT on NetApp® (NASDAQ: NTAP). By using efficient IT and virtualization solutions from NetApp, CCSU has increased usable storage without buying more disk and can now quickly respond to changing needs. With efficient and flexible IT from NetApp, the university can worry less about storage and focus more on educating.
CCSU faced ballooning storage needs while resources and budget remained constricted. This forced the IT staff to spend much of its time allocating and reallocating what storage it had to address its changing needs. Furthermore, the existing EMC system had only 1TB of available storage and supported only Fibre Channel connectivity. This limited flexibility hindered CCSU's ability to scale to growing demand, and adding more storage would only have created additional expenses and wasted valuable time. That's when CCSU contacted ePlus, Inc., a NetApp Star-level partner in the NetApp Partner Program and a leading systems integrator in New England, to help upgrade its infrastructure.
- CCSU virtualized on VMware® and NetApp storage.
- CCSU now runs 180 virtual servers, but with NetApp's deduplication technology, VMware storage requirements are down 90%.
- The university reduced its physical servers from 125 to 20, saving 10% in power and cooling costs and increasing the number of applications it can host.
- With NetApp's deduplication and thin provisioning, CCSU avoided buying 36TB of storage and increased the total amount of storage allocation by a factor of 100.
- It now takes only two full-time employees to manage storage for a diverse set of applications and services and a user base of over 16,000.
- David Orschel, director of Technical Services at
"Storage is the foundation of the IT infrastructure that runs all our school's business and user applications. We needed a more efficient and scalable infrastructure, and we just don't have the funding or the staff to risk being locked into a solution that can't respond to our changing needs. Now, we have that flexibility and efficiency. We use less capacity, scale without adding headcount, and provide higher availability and faster response than ever before."
- Mark Weber, president and general manager of U.S.
Public Sector at NetApp:
"Universities all over the country are using our deduplication and storage efficiency features to dramatically reduce the amount of storage they need to buy and manage. This allows universities more time and resources to help serve students and faculty."
- Read more about CCSU's story at www.netapp.com/us/library/customer-stories/ccsu.html
- Follow NetApp on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NetApp
- Join NetApp on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NetApp
- View NetApp videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/NetAppTV
- Connect with NetApp on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=111681
- Discuss this news in the NetApp Community, where you can exchange thoughts and ideas on a variety of topics with our community members. Join now at www.netapp.com/us/communities.
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that deliver outstanding cost efficiency and accelerate business breakthroughs. Discover our passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
NetApp, the NetApp logo, and Go further, faster are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.