These guidelines are for NetApp, Inc. (NetApp) licensees, authorized resellers, customers, and other parties wishing to use NetApp’s trademarks, service marks, or trade name (collectively, NetApp Trademarks). NetApp Trademarks take various forms and may include, but are not limited to, letters, words, logos, designs, images, slogans, colors, product shapes, product packaging, and sound. Use of NetApp Trademarks may be prohibited, unless expressly authorized.
If you are a licensee of a NetApp Trademark and have been provided with special trademark usage guidelines with your license agreement, please follow those guidelines. If your license agreement does not provide usage guidelines, then follow these guidelines. If you are a NetApp Authorized Reseller or member of a NetApp program, you may be subject to additional restrictions.
NetApp Trademarks are valuable assets and NetApp requires that they be properly used. To preserve its reputation and protect its rights in and to the NetApp Trademarks, NetApp diligently guards against any violation of its rights. In following these guidelines, you help NetApp in protecting its valuable rights and strengthen its corporate and brand identities. By using a NetApp Trademark, in whole or in part, you are acknowledging that NetApp is the sole owner of the NetApp Trademarks and promising that you will not interfere with NetApp’s rights in and to the NetApp Trademarks, including, but not limited to, challenging NetApp’s use, registration of, or application to register a NetApp Trademark, alone or in combination with other words, letters, or symbols, anywhere in the world, and that you will not harm, misuse, or bring into disrepute any NetApp Trademark. The goodwill derived from using any part of a NetApp Trademark exclusively inures to the benefit of and belongs to NetApp. Except for the limited right to use as expressly permitted under these guidelines or by agreement, no other rights of any kind are granted hereunder, by implication or otherwise. If you have any questions regarding these guidelines, please talk to your NetApp representative or send an e-mail to NetApp’s Trademark Department at email@example.com.
Authorized Use of NetApp Trademarks
- Advertising, Promotional, and Sales Materials: Only NetApp and its authorized resellers, partners and licensees (collectively, “Authorized Users”) may use NetApp Trademarks in advertising, promotional, and sales materials to show an affiliation with NetApp. Authorized Users may use NetApp Trademarks only as specified in their respective agreements with NetApp and such use must always be in conjunction with the appropriate terms that define the relationship authorized by their contract with NetApp. For example:
- Authorized Reseller
- Authorized Professional Service Partner
- Star Partner
- Alliance Partner
- Referential Use: Those using NetApp Trademarks in a referential manner in a publication, whether in print or digital, must comply with the following requirements.
- Reference to a NetApp Trademark does not create a sense of endorsement, sponsorship, or false association with NetApp or its technology, products, services or solutions.
- The use does not show NetApp or its technology, products, services or solutions in a false or derogatory light, and is not likely to dilute the NetApp Trademark.
- Your (company) name and logo must appear more prominent than the NetApp Trademark.
- The NetApp logo does not appear on or in the publication without express written permission from NetApp.
- A disclaimer of sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement by NetApp, similar to the following, is included on the publication and on all related printed materials: “(Title) is an independent (publication) and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by NetApp, Inc.”
- A trademark attribution notice is included in the credit section giving notice of NetApp’s ownership of its trademark(s). Please refer to the section below titled “Proper Trademark Notice and Attribution.”
- Web Sites: Web sites that serve only as noncommercial electronic informational forums concerning a NetApp technology, product, service or solution may use the appropriate NetApp Trademark, provided such use complies with the guidelines set forth in Section 2 above.
Unauthorized Use of NetApp Trademarks
- Company, Product, or Service Name: You may not use or register, in whole or in part, any NetApp Trademark, or an alteration thereof, as or as part of a company name, trade name, product name, service name, or other name.
- NetApp Logo: You may not use the NetApp logo, or any variation thereof, on or in connection with web sites, products, packaging, manuals, promotional/advertising materials, or for any other purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license from NetApp.
- Disparaging Manner: You may not use a NetApp Trademark in a disparaging or dilutive manner.
- Endorsement or Sponsorship: You may not use a NetApp Trademark in a manner that would imply NetApp’s affiliation with or endorsement, sponsorship, or support of a third party technology, product or service.
- Merchandise Items: You may not manufacture, sell or offer merchandise items, such as T-shirts and mugs, bearing any NetApp Trademark, except pursuant to an express written trademark license from NetApp.
- Slogans and Taglines: You may not use or imitate a NetApp slogan or tagline.
- Not acceptable: “Storing Data Further, Faster.”
- Domain Names: You may not use a word mark which is identical or similar to a NetApp Trademark as a domain name.
- Not acceptable: “netappstorage.com” “dataontapp.com” “netapp_wafl.com”
Rules for Proper Use of NetApp Trademarks
- NetApp Trademarks are adjectives used to modify nouns; the noun is the generic name of a technology, product or service.
- As adjectives, NetApp Trademarks may not be used in the plural or possessive form.
- Correct: “SnapVault® data protection software is designed to safeguard data faster and more cost effectively.”
- Incorrect: “SnapVault® your data fast and more cost effectively.”
- An appropriate generic term must appear after a NetApp Trademark the first time it appears in a printed publication, and as often as is reasonable after that. Suggested generic terms are provided in the NetApp Trademark List which is posted on the NetApp web site at: www.netapp.com/us/legal/netapptmlist.aspx.
- Always spell and capitalize NetApp Trademarks exactly as shown in the NetApp Trademark List. Do not shorten or abbreviate NetApp technology, product or service names. Do not make up names that contain NetApp Trademarks.
Proper Trademark Notice and Attribution
- Distribution Within the United States Only
- On a publication that will be distributed only in the United States, use the appropriate trademark symbol (TM, SM, ®) the first time the NetApp Trademark appears in the text.
- Refer to the NetApp Trademark List for the correct trademark symbol, spelling of the NetApp Trademark, and generic term to use with each NetApp Trademark. Generally, the trademark symbol appears at the right shoulder of the NetApp Trademark.
- Include an attribution of NetApp’s ownership of the NetApp Trademarks within the credit notice section of your publication. Following are the correct formats:
- _________ is/are registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc.
- _________ is/are trademarks of NetApp, Inc.
- Distribution Outside the United States:
- Do not use trademark symbols on publications that will be distributed outside the United States.
- Use the following international credit notice:
- _________ is a trademark of NetApp, Inc., registered in the U.S. and/or other countries.