SUNNYVALE, Calif. - September 23, 2008 - NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP), a certified advantage partner in the Oracle® PartnerNetwork, today introduced several new offerings to broaden its portfolio of solutions that have been engineered, tested, and integrated with Oracle® Applications, Oracle Databases, and Oracle Fusion Middleware. Today's news extends the breadth and depth of NetApp® storage solutions with Oracle.
In support of NetApp's new development and test solutions for heterogeneous SAN environments (see separate press release at www.netapp.com/us/company/news/news-rel-20080923a.html), NetApp and Oracle teamed to provide a tested reference architecture to enable customers to accelerate time to market for Oracle applications.
Traditional competitive approaches for Oracle application development require customers to create full volume clones or copies of production data that require 100% storage capacity overhead. NetApp's solution allows Oracle customers to create copies of Oracle Databases in minutes with minimal incremental storage space to speed test cycles and deployment times. Together, NetApp and Oracle are helping customers respond to changing business needs faster than ever before, minimize disruptions to their production environment, and reduce the infrastructure and administrative costs associated with development and test processes.
To help customers deploy this solution, NetApp and Oracle developed the Oracle Database Heterogeneous Development and Test Solution Reference Architecture, which articulates how best to set up an Oracle environment with both NetApp and third-party storage systems for use in development and testing environments. This technical document provides a blueprint for successfully deploying a NetApp development and testing solution with Oracle. To read the reference architecture, please visit www.netapp.com/us/solutions/applications/oracle/oracle-app-test-dev.html.
Customers who deploy NetApp development and test solutions for Oracle can take advantage of the following features and capabilities:
- NetApp FlexClone®-Create database copies in minutes without requiring 100% additional storage capacity and help accelerate the time to market for new applications and improve product quality.
- NetApp SnapManager® for Oracle-Leverage a graphical user interface to ease the process of creating full copies of production database clones.
- NetApp SnapMirror® for Open Systems-Formerly known as ReplicatorX™, SnapMirror for Open Systems enables customers to replicate data from third-party storage to NetApp storage across any distance with low impact on production, as well as combine disaster recovery and development and testing on a single infrastructure for better ROI.
- NetApp FlexVol®-This product enables thin provisioning of storage used for application development and testing.
- NetApp SANscreen® Plugin for Oracle Enterprise Manager-Provides real-time visibility into storage services delivered to databases; fast, automated troubleshooting; insight into storage provisioning processes; and simplified capacity planning.
- Oracle Real Application Testing-Easily leverage resources at your disaster recovery site for testing and leverage NetApp technologies such as Snapshot™, SnapMirror, and FlexClone to automate the development and testing process.
- Oracle Data Guard-Oracle's database-integrated solution for comprehensive disaster recovery and data protection allows efficient replication of Oracle data from production to active development and test environments while keeping them transactionally consistent
"Development and testing environments create an enormous amount of data proliferation that customers are desperately trying to address," said Patrick Rogers, vice president of Solutions Marketing at NetApp. "Traditional cloning approaches require 100% additional storage capacity, drive costs up, and wreak havoc on application deployment schedules. With Oracle, we're providing customers an integrated solution to allow them to reduce their storage capacity requirements and help development, test, and quality assurance teams mitigate risk during the product design lifecycle and, ultimately, speed time to market to gain a competitive edge."
NetApp Offers Unparalleled Support for Oracle Stack
In addition, NetApp introduced two new solutions for Oracle Database and Oracle Fusion Middleware offerings:
- NetApp ILM, Archive, and Compliance Solution-NetApp's unified storage architecture greatly simplifies the deployment and ongoing management of tiered storage for Oracle information lifecycle management (ILM) to provide customers with the most complete ILM, archive, and compliance solution. Competitive offerings require the deployment of different classes of storage with different operating systems, introducing management complexity and impeding compliance support. With NetApp, tiered storage that combines high-performance (FC) and lower-cost (SATA) drives can be implemented using a single platform. NetApp has developed an API that integrates with Oracle Database to enable customers to leverage Oracle ILM Assistant to migrate Oracle data to different tiers of NetApp storage. To help meet governance and compliance requirements, NetApp SnapLock® integrates with the Oracle ILM Assistant to easily create WORM volumes. With NetApp and Oracle, users can seamlessly create and move data between storage tiers while adhering to strict compliance policies.
- NetApp Disaster Recovery Solution for Oracle Fusion Middleware-NetApp enables customers to deploy a cost-effective disaster recovery solution to protect not only their mission-critical applications, but also their daily business applications. Together, NetApp and Oracle provide customers with a blueprint for architecting a highly available disaster recovery solution for applications that run on Oracle Fusion Middleware. To see this blueprint, visit http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3672.pdf.
"Prior to FlexClone, our developers waited days to receive a single database/application environment copy," said Huy Ly, senior director, Server Operations-Development Infrastructure, Oracle. "Given that we have thousands of developers all over the world, not only was the lag time unacceptable, we couldn't afford the amount of storage that these copies required. With NetApp FlexClone, developers get their own copies in a matter of hours with minimal incremental storage. As a result, we have dramatically improved our time to deploy new Oracle applications."
"NetApp solutions add value to all layers of the Oracle stack," said Phil Brotherton, vice president and general manager, Enterprise Applications Business Unit, NetApp. "We continue to collaborate with Oracle in developing solutions that enable customers to reduce cost and complexity in their data centers. With NetApp, our joint customers have the most complete solutions for Oracle databases, middleware, and applications."
For more information about NetApp application development and test solutions for Oracle,visit NetApp TechTalk online events at http://communicate.netapp.com/forms/verify?seminarID=20080923POD for a podcast with Tom Shields, senior manager, Solutions Marketing at NetApp, as he discusses how the right storage strategy can bring greater speed, quality, and cost efficiency to your application development and test process.
Discuss this news in the NetApp Community, where you can exchange thoughts and ideas on a variety of topics with our community members. Collaborate with our company, engage in conversation with NetApp leaders and employees, and participate in our passion to go further, faster. Join now at www.netapp.com/us/communities/.
Pricing and Availability
Customer pricing for products described in this press release is available from NetApp sales or reseller partners. All products are available immediately.
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that accelerate business breakthroughs and achieve outstanding cost efficiency. Discover our passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
Disclaimer - Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected or implied in the forward-looking statements. NetApp advises readers that these potential risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to: potential fluctuations in operating results; gross margins that may vary over time; revenues may be affected by changes in IT spending levels; the ability to maintain and gain market or industry acceptance of the company's products; the company's dependence on a limited number of customers; seasonal fluctuations and uneven sales patterns in orders from customers; the company's ability to compete effectively with other companies; declining average unit sales prices of comparable products; a reduction in sales efforts by current distributors; dependence on sole source and limited source suppliers; sales fluctuations arising from customer transitions to new products; international economic, regulatory, political and other risks and uncertain benefits from strategic business combinations. More detailed information on these and additional factors which could affect the company's operating and financial results are described in NetApp's Forms 10-K, 10-Q and other reports filed, or to be filed, with the Securities and Exchange Commission. NetApp urges all interested parties to read these reports to gain a better understanding of the business and other risks that the company faces. The forward-looking statements contained in this press release are made only as of the date hereof, and the company does not intend to update or revise these forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
NetApp, the NetApp logo, Go further, faster, and Lifetime Key Management are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Brocade, the B-wing symbol, DCX, Fabric OS, File Lifecycle Manager, MyView, and StorageX are registered trademarks, and DCFM and SAN Health are trademarks of Brocade Communications Systems, Inc., in the United States and/or in other countries. All other brands, products, or service names are or may be trademarks or service marks of, and are used to identify, products or services of their respective owners.
Ph: (408) 822-1959