A Hitchhiker's Guide to NetApp Insight
Greetings to everyone attending NetApp Insight in Las Vegas September 26 - 29! To help you navigate the NetApp Insight event, we’ve assembled some things to know before you go. And if all else fails, just remember the words inscribed in large, friendly letters on the front cover of “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”: DON’T PANIC.
Planning Ahead to Hit the Highlights
NetApp Insight is overflowing with keynotes, breakout sessions, hands-on labs, certification testing—not to mention meals, breaks, and special social events.
Don’t get overwhelmed by trying to do too much, or just arriving and hoping to find your way around. Also, some sessions and activities require advance reservations. Planning ahead will help you decide how to prioritize where you spend your time. For instance, you might want to:
- Hear first-hand from NetApp’s CEO, key executives, customers and industry leaders how data has become the currency of the digital economy—and how the hybrid cloud and the Data Fabric are driving IT transformations. (Day 1 General Session)
- Find out where the data management industry is headed, as told by the founders of NetApp and SolidFire. (Day 3 General Session)
- Focus on innovation, digital transformation and cloud implementation during the series of sessions that make up this year’s Cloud Strategy Forum.
- See NetApp partner solutions in action in the Solutions Keynote Theater.
- Get certified for free in any of the full suite of our industry-recognized certification exams.
- If you’re already a NetApp Certified user, partake in an exclusive Greet & Geek event
- Visit the Insight Central solutions expo, which runs throughout Insight. Browse exhibits, participate in hands-on labs, network with colleagues and learn from technology experts.
- Meet in person with NetApp executives and technical subject matter experts to discuss your business challenge
- Connect with colleagues during Birds of a Feather sessions.
To find out details of the NetApp Insight schedule, and to book your conference sessions and activities, download the Schedule Builder for NetApp Insight Las Vegas onto your desktop or mobile device via the NetApp Insight 2016 mobile app. Get the mobile app by going to your app store and searching for “NetApp Insight 2016” to download the app for free. Oh, and you might even win a prize for using the mobile app.
Registration and Name Badges
Planet-hopping galactic hitchhikers might not use travel documents, but the world of NetApp Insight requires official registration. You must show valid photo ID to collect your name badge.
From there, your name badge becomes your passport to everything that happens at Insight. Wear your name badge with pride everywhere you go throughout the conference, including the Appreciation Event at the Mandalay Bay Beach. No badge? No entrance to the convention center or Mandalay Bay Beach.
Don’t Forget the Fun
In “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy,” the planet Earth as a destination was deemed “mostly harmless.” NetApp Insight as a destination can surely out-perform that admittedly low bar.
We’re not sure what other planets do for fun, but here are some of the alternatives you’ll find on the NetApp Insight schedule:
- Be sure to attend our exclusive Island Beach Party/Appreciation Event (sponsored by Cisco and Fujitsu) at the Mandalay Bay Beach on Wednesday evening. Change into tropical attire, kick off your flip-flops, and walk barefoot in the sand or wade into the waves with a cool beverage in hand—while reveling in a special concert courtesy of multi-platinum selling recording artist Andy Grammer. Plus, dinner will be served.
NOTE: This private event is for registered NetApp Insight attendees and their guests only (attendees can purchase a maximum of two guest passes at a cost of $195 per pass). Remember to wear your name badge to gain access to the Mandalay Bay Beach.
- Enjoy a change of pace at the Insight Central solutions expo by visiting the Intel Recharge Lounge, VMware Video Lounge or the Indulge & Delight Theater—including a scotch tasting sponsored by Amazon Web Services or an afternoon treat of delicious gourmet donuts sponsored by Microsoft. Check the schedule for details on places and times.
- Lunch is included as part of the Insight event. Check out the hot buffet every day in Insight Central, or select from grab-and-go options in the conference center’s level 2 and 3 foyers.
- Also each day of the conference, a light continental breakfast will be provided in the conference center. And light snacks and refreshments will be available in the morning and afternoon.
- On Monday evening, the NetApp A-Team is hosting an open house with Beer & Bacon. Here’s your chance to hobnob with A-Team members—or find out why they advocate for NetApp.
- Also on Monday evening, join NetApp VP of Cloud Operations Dona Munsch at the Women in Technology Social, with hors d’oeuvres and hosted beer, wine and other beverages.
- Attend the Pump It Up networking reception on Tuesday evening, sponsored by CDW, Intel and Veeam. Light fare will be available
- On Thursday, the final day of NetApp Insight, gather for some final snacks and swigs: Bloody Marys and sliders sponsored by CenturyLink; beer and tater tots sponsored by Varonis; and tequila with chips and salsa sponsored by Tata Consultancy Services.
What to Pack
Attire for NetApp Insight is business casual for all business meetings. For the Appreciation Event on Wednesday evening at Mandalay Bay Beach, we recommend casual attire suitable for a beach environment. Think shorts and flip-flops.
As for the weather to expect, Las Vegas is known for its hot summers and moderate winters. Average September temperatures range from a low of 66°F (19°C) to a high of 93°F (34°C). Although September can post some high daytime temperatures, we recommend that you bring a sweater or jacket for evening outdoor activities and for the air-conditioned indoor activities.
Every good travel adventure deserves some souvenirs to share with the folks back home. Fortunately, you won’t have to wander through the strange lands of Las Vegas looking for swag. Visit the NetApp Gear Store to purchase NetApp apparel, electronics, sports accessories and more. For a special memento, stop by the gear store on Tuesday between 1-2 pm for the Dave Hitz book signing.
Some Other Important Details
- Location: NetApp Insight takes place at:
South Convention Center
Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino
3950 Las Vegas Boulevard South
Las Vegas, Nevada 89119
- Accommodations: A limited number of rooms might still be available at the Delano in the discounted NetApp Insight block. If you haven’t reserved hotel accommodations, book your room today!
- Transportation: You must provide your own transportation to and from the NetApp Insight event. Taxis are widely available at both Las Vegas McCarran Airport and Mandalay Bay, and they will cost approximately $15 each way.
- Air travel: Check with your airline and the TSA website for details about luggage allowances, what can and can’t be packed in checked and carry-on luggage, and the kinds of ID you’ll need to carry to board your flights.
What, You Still Have Questions?
That’s OK, we probably have answers. Visit the NetApp Insight website or email us at email@example.com.
Or you might seek out a copy of “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.” It won’t actually help you navigate the NetApp Insight experience, but you will learn the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything. (Spoiler alert: It’s 42.)