NetApp delivers software-defined storage today with clustered Data ONTAP, OnCommand management, and FlexArray software.
Software-defined storage (SDS) is part of the software-defined data center (SDDC), an evolving architecture and set of technologies designed to speed delivery of IT services to application owners. SDS enables greater operational efficiency, higher availability, and lower cost in both SAN and NAS environments.
SDS does for storage what virtualization did for servers—breaking down the physical barriers that bind data to specific hardware. With NetApp® clustered Data ONTAP® Storage Virtual Machines:
- IT infrastructure teams become more responsive
- Application owners become more autonomous
- Business decision makers become more flexible
NetApp delivers SDS with clustered Data ONTAP software; the industry’s most comprehensive application integration; and programmable APIs for seamless workflow automation. SDS capabilities are woven into our products, not added later as a separate management layer. We enable SDS through:
- Application self-service for fast user access to storage services, applications, and workflows
- Fully virtualized storage servers for dynamic resource provisioning based on service levels
- Deployment across a wide range of multi-vendor hardware and cloud service providers for platform flexibility
NetApp is delivering the benefits of software-defined storage through products that include: