Background: NetApp's Participation in the SNIA Organization
NetApp has been an active member of the Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) since 1998, participating in a number of Technical Working Groups and SNIA standards activities over the years. NetApp representatives have also been active in various leadership positions within SNIA Forums, including chair of the IP Storage Forum for the past three years, as well as members of the Storage Management Forum, Green Storage Initiative, Storage Security, Data Protection Initiative, Data De-Duplication and Space Reduction, and the Data Management Forum. NetApp representatives also hold positions on the 2008 SNIA Vice Chair, Board of Directors and the 2008 SNIA Vice Chair, Technical Council.
In addition to membership in the Storage Management Initiative (SMI), NetApp is heavily involved in a broad range of the SNIA SMI-S activities, including active membership in both SMI-related TWGs and the SMI Committee and regular participation in SMI-Lab plugfests since 2002.
NetApp and SMI-S Support
The NetApp Data ONTAP SMI-S Agent, which supports the entire line of NetApp FAS systems and NetApp V-Series Virtualized storage systems, has been certified by SNIA's Conformance Testing Program (CTP) suite for compliance with SNIA's SMI-S v1.2 specification.
The functionality supported by the NetApp's Data ONTAP SMI-S Agent includes features supported via standard profiles as well as NetApp-specific extensions.
Standard profiles support:
- Fibre Channel SAN functionality, including LUN creation, mapping and masking, and reporting
- NAS functionality, including resource discovery (aggregates, volumes, RAID groups, etc.) and system health monitoring
- iSCSI SAN functionality, including LUN creation and export, and session and connection creation
- NetApp-specific extensions support
- Capacity utilization (in the context of multi-protocol storage systems)
In order to download the Data ONTAP SMI-S Agent, click here.