NetApp Reports Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2014 Results
View Financial Tables (PDF)
Non-GAAP Earnings Per Share of $0.66, Up 29% Year over Year
- Revenue of $1.550 billion
- Branded revenue up 5% year over year
- Cash from operations of $363 million; free cash flow 21% of revenue
- Over 1,900 Clustered Data ONTAP® nodes shipped, up almost 300% year over year
Sunnyvale, Calif.—November 13, 2013—NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) today reported financial results for the second quarter of fiscal year 2014, ended October 25, 2013.
Second Quarter Financial Results
Total revenues for the second quarter of fiscal year 2014 were $1.550 billion, an increase of 1% from the comparable period of the prior year. GAAP net income for the second quarter of fiscal year 2014 was $167 million, or $0.48 per share, compared to GAAP net income of $110 million, or $0.30 per share, for the comparable period of the prior year. Non-GAAP net income for the second quarter of fiscal year 2014 was $232 million, or $0.66 per share, compared to non-GAAP net income of $189 million, or $0.51 per share, for the comparable period of the prior year.
Cash, Cash Equivalents and Investments
NetApp ended the second quarter of 2014 with $5.273 billion of total cash, cash equivalents and investments and during the quarter generated approximately $363 million in cash from operations. The company returned $202 million to shareholders during the quarter through share repurchases and a cash dividend. The next dividend in the amount of $0.15 per share will be paid on January 22, 2014 to shareholders of record as of the close of business on January 9, 2014.
"NetApp is at the forefront of a changing IT landscape, creating opportunity from perceived threats," said Tom Georgens, president and CEO. "Though we face an ongoing uncertain macro environment, our solid branded revenue growth and share gains are evidence of the value customers place on our innovative, best-of-breed solutions."
Q3 Fiscal Year 2014 Outlook
The Company is providing the following financial guidance for the third quarter of fiscal year 2014:
- Total revenue is expected to be in the range of $1.575 billion to $1.675 billion
- GAAP earnings per share is expected to be in the range of $0.50 to $0.55 per share
- Non-GAAP earnings per share is expected to be in the range of $0.68 to $0.73 per share
In its second quarter of fiscal year 2014, NetApp delivered technology innovation focused on helping customers capitalize on cloud and software-defined data center trends, and once again was recognized as one of the world's best workplaces. Highlights include:
- NetApp Outlines Strategy to Enable Hybrid Cloud Architectures. NetApp's strategy is to use the world's number-one branded storage operating system, Data ONTAP, as a universal data platform to provide seamless cloud management across any blend of private and public cloud resources.
- NetApp and Verizon Team on Software-Defined Storage Solutions for New Verizon Cloud. The two companies will collaborate to rearchitect traditional cloud-based storage models to deliver NetApp Data ONTAP as a virtual storage appliance for Verizon Cloud clients. The software will deliver on the promise of software-defined storage, providing additional deployment and management flexibility for clients implementing Verizon Cloud Compute and Verizon Cloud Storage.
- NetApp and VMware Help Customers Move to Software-Defined Data Centers. New integrations with VMware vCloud Suite and NetApp clustered Data ONTAP enable nondisruptive migration of data for hundreds of virtual machines at a time, and streamlines provisioning, analysis, data protection, and disaster recovery for virtualized environments, simplifying and accelerating the deployment of software-defined storage in software-defined data center environments.
- NetApp Deepens Integration with Oracle's Cloud-Enabling Software. The integration can deliver enhanced features for Oracle Database 12c and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, allowing customers to centrally manage and maintain control of their data across private, public, and hybrid clouds.
- NetApp Helps Orange Business Services Deliver Cloud Solutions. Orange Business Services developed its Flexible Computing solution with NetApp Data ONTAP at its core. As a result, Orange Business Services is able to provide enterprise customers with high-level data availability, helping to establish itself as a leading global IT infrastructure provider with more than 600 Flexible Computing customers worldwide.
- NetApp Earns #3 Ranking as Best Place to Work in the World. NetApp placed in the top five on the "World's Best Multinational Workplaces" list for the third consecutive year due to its employee-driven culture. NetApp believes that its culture is a sustainable differentiator and is committed to being a model company that empowers great outcomes for its partners, customers, and investors.
- Financial information previously found in the Supplemental Commentary document is now included in the accompanying Supplemental Data tables of the quarterly financial press release.
- In addition, historical supplemental data tables, providing historical multi-period financial information, are available on our investor relations website at investors.netapp.com.
Webcast and Conference Call Information
NetApp will host a conference call to discuss these results today at 2:30 p.m. Pacific Time. To access the live webcast of this event, visit the NetApp Investor Relations website at investors.netapp.com. In addition, this press release and any other information related to the call will be posted on the Investor Relations website. An audio replay will also be available after 4:30 p.m. Pacific Time today on the website.
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that deliver outstanding cost efficiency and accelerate business breakthroughs. Our commitment to living our core values and consistently being recognized as a great place to work around the world are fundamental to our long-term growth and success, as well as the success of our pathway partners and customers. Discover our passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.