Kaladhar Voruganti is a technical director in the NetApp Advanced Technology Group (part of the CTO office) in Sunnyvale, California. He currently works actively on storage architectures for the cloud, virtualized server environments, large-scale data analytics, and leveraging Flash. He specifically focuses on data management and service automation analytics related to problems in these areas. Previously Kaladhar worked at IBM Almaden Research in San Jose, California, for seven and a half years and at the IBM Toronto lab for three years. He received three OTAA awards at IBM Research for his product contributions and a NetApp CTO Commendation for his work on leveraging virtualization technology in NetApp® storage products. He currently has 21 issued patents and 36 pending patent applications.
Kaladhar is an associate editor of the ACM Transactions of Storage Journal; editor of the NetApp Technical Journal; associate editor of Transactions on ICT: Systems and Architecture Journal, Springer-Verlag; and a PC member of the USENIX FAST 2010 conference and USENIX HotStorage 2012. He has published multiple times in top technical conferences including FAST, USENIX, and VLDB.
Kaladhar has also given invited talks at UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, IISc, Waterloo, NUS Singapore, the IBM CASCON conference, the USENIX conference, the IPCCC 2001 conference, the UKC conference 2008, and the Power Symposium at UC Berkeley. He taught a graduate course in Cloud Computing at Amrita University in India and a graduate course on Storage Systems at UC Santa Cruz. He has supervised and is now supervising numerous PhD/MSc students at UC Santa Cruz, Georgia Tech, Amrita University, and the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning.
PhD computing science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
BSc computer engineering: University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
NetApp CTO Commendation for work on leveraging server virtualization technology
Two NetApp publication awards for FAST 2008 papers
IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for work on TPC 3.1, 2006
IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for work on TPC 3.1 , 2004
IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for work on iSCSI 200i Controller, 2002
IBM Bravo Award for publication effort in 2003, 2004, 2005
Nine IBM Thanks Awards from Peers
iSCSI 200i Controller Box won the innovative product award at Storage 2001 and InterOp 2001 conferences
- Associate editor, Transactions on ICT: Systems and Architecture Journal, Springer-Verlag (currently)
- Associate editor, ACM Transactions on Storage Journal (currently)
- USENIX HotStorage, 2012
- USENIX FAST, 2010
- IEEE MSST, 2010
- Editor NetApp Technical Journal (currently)
- Member of NetApp Technical Journal (NATJ) Review Board, 2007, 2008
- Coeditor of NATJ Special Issue on Supportability, 2008
- IEEE International Conference on Service Computing 2007
- IEEE International Conference on Service Computing 2006
- IEEE International Conference on Service Computing, 2005
- IEEE International Conference on Collaborative Computing, 2005
- IEEE International Conference on Web Services, 2004
- IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, Industrial Track: 2001
- PhD Defense Committee, Mark Storer, UCSC, 2007
- PhD Defense Committee: Aameek Singh, Georgia Tech, 2007
- MSc Committee: Stephanie Jones, 2010, UCSC
- MSc Committee: Ashish Parekh, 2010, SSSIHL, India
- Taught graduate course in Storage Systems at UCSC, Spring 2006
- Graduate course on cloud computing at Amrita University, India, 2010
- Lead for IETF iSCSI Naming and Discovery RFC
- Worked on IETF SLP Discovery RFC
L. Bairavasundaram, G. Soundararajan, V. Mathur, K.Voruganti, and S. Kleiman,”Italian for Beginners: Next Steps in SLO Based Management,” in USENIX HotStorage, 2011.
A. Burtsev, K. Srinivasan, P. Radhakrishnan, L. Bairavasundaram, K. Voruganti, and G. Goodson, “FIDO: Fast Inter-Virtual-Machine Communication for Enterprise Appliances,” in USENIX, 2009.
M. Storer, K. Greenan, E. Miller, and K. Voruganti, “Pergamum: Replacing Tape with Energy Efficient Reliable Disk Based Archival Storage,” in USENIX FAST, 2008.
Verma, K. Voruganti, R. Routray, and R. Jain. “Sweeper: Efficient Disaster Recovery Point Identification Mechanism.” USENIX FAST, 2008.
M. Storer, K. Greenan, E. Miller, and K. Voruganti, “POTSHARDS: Secure Long Term Storage Without Encryption,” USENIX Annual Conference, 2007.
L. Yin, S. Uttamchandani, M. Korupolu, K. Voruganti, and R. Katz, “SMART: An Integrated Multi-Action Advisor for Storage Systems,” USENIX Annual Conference, 2006.
Aameek Singh, Madhukar Korupolu, and Kaladhar Voruganti. “Zodiac: Efficient Impact Analysis for SANs.” USENIX FAST, 2005.
Sandeep Uttamchandani, Kaladhar Voruganti, Sudarshan Srinivasan, John Palmer, and David Pease. “Polus: Growing Storage QoS Management Beyond a 4-Year-Old Kid.” USENIX FAST, 2004
Prasenjit Sarkar, Sandeep Uttamchandani, and Kaladhar Voruganti. “Storage Over IP: When Does Hardware Support Help?” USENIX FAST, 2003.
Kaladhar Voruganti, Tamer Ozsu, and Ron Unrau. “An Adaptive Hybrid Server Architecture for Client Caching DBMSs.” Proceedings of the VLDB Conference, 1999.
Tamer Ozsu, Kaladhar Voruganti, and Ron Unrau. “An Asynchronous Avoidance-Based Cache Consistency Algorithm.” Proceedings of the VLDB Conference, 1998.
- Invited talk, Hello Cloud Symposium, Bangalore, 2011
- Invited talk, CNS, UC San Diego, 2010
- Invited speaker, Power Symposium, UC Berkeley 2009.
- Invited speaker, UKC 2008 Conference, San Diego, 2008
- Invited ;ecture on storage systems, UC Berkeley, 2007
- Invited talk, CASCON 2006 Conference, Toronto
- Invited talk, University of Waterloo, Canada, 2005
- Invited talk, “Autonomic Policy-Based Storage Management,” SIG session talk, USENIX 2004
- Invited talk, “Storage Planning,” IBM ABC conference, 2004
- Invited talk, National University of Singapore, 2002
- Invited talk, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 2002
- Invited speaker, IPCCC, 2001
- Invited talk, University of Wollongong, Australia, 2001
- Invited talk, New Jersey Institute of Technology, 2001
- Invited talk, UC Berkeley, 2001