Data Protection: What are you protecting against?
If you are reading this, then corporate data
protection is already important to you. Corporate data is the
lifeline of a company - it is a corporate asset, encompasses
intellectual property and in the wrong hands could be detrimental
to any business. Most acknowledge that data protection is
essential, but the specific motivations for data protection will
determine the best solution for your organisation.
Typical scenarios are:
- "I need my data available and online 24x7"
- "My database has been corrupted and I need it restored"
- "I want to ensure access to my data after a site failure or
- "I need access to email data from two years ago. No hurry. But
I need the data"
- "I need to prove that my data has not been tampered with"
For each of these scenarios above, there are
storage-based solutions, or integrated solutions with industry
NetApp offers a unified storage platform for
all of the above requirements. The storage operating system, Data
ONTAP, offers a variety of features that can be enabled or
disabled. This allows for a single system to be a primary storage
array, onsite backup target, off-site replication target, an
archival/ compliance system, and much more.
- The initial storage requirement could be to host VMs at the
- Following this, the organisation could look to backup those VMs
with the ability to do immediate backups and restores
- Subsequently, the Exchange team hosts Exchange datastores,
which includes Exchange backup copies for the past 30 days on
- Older emails get archived on SATA disk on the same physical
- Archived emails are marked as secure and compliant, so they
cannot be tampered with
- More application data, such as SAP etc. is added on the storage
- Secondary site is added with data replicated from Primary site
to Secondary/ DR site storage array
- Data at secondary site is used for development/testing work. In
doing this the DR site is transformed into an actively used
A sample customer journey with NetApp can
To complement data protection, NetApp storage
features a range of storage efficiency technologies - which allow
for elimination or non-creation of redundant data. These storage
efficiency features are great when used for backup data copies, as
well as for primary storage. NetApp unified storage arrays offer an
agile infrastructure foundation, on which to build the rest of your